BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front): Our Gas Line Inspection failed so therefore, so did the framing.
The Gas Line failed due to a technicality (not related to safety or even the concern that there was a leak or possibility of a leak or fire). This was required before the framing inspection could be completed. I had watched the gauge hold the pressure and not lose a single PSI for over a week. The test the plumbers performed actually exceeded the counties standards but was not the proper one for this county so they failed it. We are at the junction of three counties, so it is confusing for some of the trades. Some RH developments here span two counties.
So the domino effect...although the plumbers fixed it on the site...the inspector wouldn't stay and sign it off. The framing inspector showed up and even though the discrepancy had been fixed, he wouldn't even step foot in the house. Of course the inspectors are booked tomorrow and so we have to wait until Friday. My largest concern is that the framing will fail too and we will have to wait until next Monday losing 5 working days. We are already behind by "MY schedule", this would not be good for the project.
The County Inspector Conspiracy:
Before we broke ground I had went through county inspection results for other homes in the area and noted that most inspections in our county did not pass the first time around. I had anticipated this and built this into my own version of the construction schedule. I was of course hoping for the best but am not surprised.
I feel as if it's the counties way of increasing revenue at our expense. At this point I would personally cut them a check so they would stop delaying my project. Each failed inspection has cost me 3 or more days each. On a 98 day build 12 to 15 of these days or more seem to just be due to county inspections. RH factors this in and passes the cost to us. I don't even want to know what RH's the fully burdened rate is and the fact that 1/8 of the schedule (at least for my home) has been inspection delays. The sad truth is the county makes an extra $60.60 for a re-inspect x 10 inspections or about $600 over and above the nearly $2,000 they charge anyway. If they want $2,600 to build a house in our county, then they should just charge that. The issue I have is they are already costing me thousands in pass along costs from RH plus the heartache of possibly not closing on time (or at the time we really need, not the time RH estimated). I would gladly pay the $600 and call it good...in fact make it an even $1,000 and call it gratuity (or extortion which ever way you look at it).
A look ahead:
If we pass both inspections Friday (June 1st), we will begin insulation over the weekend.
We are going to do our Pre-Drywall meeting Friday (June 1st) no matter what. I'm not going to be the long pole in the tent.
Sheetrock should be arriving Monday (June 3rd), hopefully followed by a robust workforce to hang it.
I should get status on the masons and when they are going to brick our house tomorrow (Thursday, May 30th).
|This Blue Vapor Barrier runs from the Foundation up over the sill plates, rim|
joists and the bottom of the wall sheathing (OSB on the walls).
|It raps all the way around and is sealed with tar|
|Lots of pipes and other Misc eye soars on the side|
of my house. All weather tight though...
|Basement bathroom vent...sealed|
Some pics of the outside electrical rough-ins:
|Porch lights, outside outlet and door bell wire (would probably like to just|
|This is a random outside outlet...not even sure what this goes to.|
It's nowhere near the AC units or the porch/patio
|Grounding wire for the house...|
Sump Pump Drainage:
|Our sump pump was off for a few days because the foundation crew|
sealed up the extension cord in the foundation and had to cut it.
So we just got another one out there and plugged it back in.
Our own little Lake Erie, I guess.