Social Icons

.

Friday, May 31, 2013

Day 43, 44: Pre-Drywall Meeting and Framing Inspection Attemp #2


Day 43: Thursday, May 30th, 2013:
Absolutely nothing going on our house.

Day 44: Friday, May 31st, 2013:
Very little happened in the house from a construction stand point.  The plumbers came by and did a few punch list items and inserted a few new problems. 

Gas Line Inspection:
The gas line inspection was conducted earlier in the afternoon and passed...Yeah!

Pre-Drywall Meeting:
We did our Pre-Drywall meeting (technically the Pre-Pre-Drywall meeting. I explain later.) after the gas line inspection (but before the framing inspection).  Overall it went well.  We've been so involved in the process there wasn't much to really talk about that we hadn't already identified. 
There were some items I pointed out a few weeks ago that hadn't been taken care of yet and the plumbers put in some new problems that have to be addressed.  All in all it went well.

Silver lining #1. We are getting a set of attic stairs in one of our bedrooms leading to our attic furnace.  We were not expecting this but it looks like they have had a lot of issues with homeowners not changing filters and it has been costing them a lot more than the stairs cost.  A preventative measure for them and a win for me.

Silver lining #2. One thing I was really happy about was that the PM and Asst PM went in and really cleaned the house top to bottom.  It looked really good and I'm happy about not having

Framing Inspection Attempt #2:
As we were finishing up our pre-drywall meeting the county inspector showed up.  I was able to be a fly on the wall to see how the inspection went.  Overall went well, expect for it failing.  It was a fair inspection and the items he identified were legitimate.  There were some nailing patterns and bracing required in the roofing system that were not done.  We have to get re-inspected and because this inspection was so late in the day, the earliest they could come back out is next Tuesday.  This is exactly what I was ranting about earlier and what I knew was going to happen.

The silver lining #3.  Because it is in the truss system (where no insulation goes), it isn't going to delay insulation but will delay sheet rock 2 days.  Actually if we would have passed this inspection 2 days ago, we would be drywalling this weekend... that's another rant for another time.

Soft Closing date...
Normally they don't do the pre-drywall meeting until after the framing inspection is done and the house is insulated.  My spouse is going to be out of town next week so we did a preliminary inspection today and I'm going to do the final next week.  The PM wouldn't give us a hard date because the framing inspection hadn't passed and the insulation wasn't done.  He did say he is confident he can do our Pre-settlement walk-thru on Wednesday, July 24th and our closing would be Friday, July 26th.  This is 1 day later than we were told during our pre-construction meeting which from a Programmatic standpoint is pretty good.  From our perspective, asking for a few days to the good and actually losing a day, we aren't jumping up and down.  I'm going to be optimistic and grateful it didn't slide more to the right.

A look ahead:
- Saturday/Sunday, June 1/2, 2013: Insulation
- Monday, June 3, 2013: Punch list from Framing Inspection and Pre-drywall
- Monday, June 3, 2013: Drywall should be delivered
- Tuesday, June 4, 2013: Framing Inspection Attempt #3
- Tuesday, June 4, 2013: Masons are supposed to start Monday or Tuesday
- Wednesday, June 5, 2013: Hopefully sheet rock begins

Misc Work:
The dirt mound in front of our house was taken away.  Still have the dirt in the back but there is still a bit of grading that will have to happen back there.

The shower seat in the Owner's suite, was built too wide and it pushed the shower pan out passed the side wall.  The pan had to be pulled out, the seat rebuilt and the pan reset in concrete.

All the holes where the plumbing went from one floor to another, had to be filled with expanding foam.


Dirt Mound Gone.



Another shot. That is Masons Sand for the Siding.



Expanding foam. This is to prevent a fire from spreading between floors
(It would still spread, just not as fast)






I had posted where I had a strange sideways outlet in my dining room (see below)

So the cryptic note on the studs in my dining room and the fact that the electricians had mounted a random outlet at eye level sideways in the wall...had me puzzled???  What had happened was that the PM automatically has the electricians drop the outlets down and turns them sideways where you have paneling installed.  This prevents having to come back and move outlets later.  A Veteran move but not understood by the electricians (or me apparently).


The plumbers fixed one problem here but created another one for the electricians



6 comments:

  1. You are inspiring me to get really involved once they begin building next week. Traffic in DC area is terrible and it can take 2 hours to get from our one house to the new one if traffic is bad or 30 minutes on a good day. I had planned on weekly visits but I might do more just to be safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get the commute and don't blame you. No matter which option you choose, you will end up with a great home that you will love and create life long memories in. I've found it ver rewarding being more involved and when it's all said and done, "I'll know" I have a great home because I had a small part in every step. Even if it was just sitting on the side lines and watching. I know every inch of this house...and if there are imperfections I'm aware of them. One thing I will tell you is framing is not pretty. It's not finished carpentry and all the boards aren't going to look nice. Don't panic if you see a less than perfect board. Instead look at how it sits on the wall in relation to its neighbors and whether it is going to either effect your walls from being straight or provide a nailing surface for sheet rock or molding. If its bowed or cracked there are some tricks the framers can do to fix it without replacing it. The PM does framing checks and writes in sharpie all over the walls to have these things fixed. That happens at the end of framing. So if you go in toward the beginning and see these things, don't panic. Maybe jot it down, wait for the sub and PM to do there thing and cross them off your list as you go. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. Really like the attic stairs that's really neat to have. So far everything looks really strong and ready to go for drywall. Hopefully the framers pass inspection this time and progress cab continue. Everything sounds like its all good your PM is really doing a good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Were certainly getting there. I'm ready to see something other than 2x4's though. Ready for sheet rock, paint, trim, etc. Brick would be nice too. Should be next week, so I just need to be a little more patient.

      Delete
  3. I was just like you!! You could not keep me off the property !! Lol I Told my PM I was his assistant! I was catching things before he would because I was on the scene so much! He did not line this too much i guess it made him feel like he wasnt doing his job! He was foong his job and so was i! lol it gives me great satisfaction that I can still remember the process in detail! I would not trade the experience at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It's the part of the process I wouldn't change. I would have been very disappointed if they wouldn't have let us observe the build. Their policy reads that way but if they shut me out, I would be more upset then with any other thing that has happened in this process. These are memories you may never have again and they can't be replaced.

      Delete